Monday, November 15, 2010

“Hey Eckhart! Think about the future!”


Technology is moving fast, and I was thinking about how soon we'll be so inundated by technology that we will start forgetting that we actually started out as a hunter/gatherer species. This summer I spent a lot of time helping my brother to tend his garden and take care of his pigs/chickens/turkeys and it got me thinking about the dichotomy of an agrarian life versus one of technology. As the country slowly sinks deeper into this recession coming closer and closer to imminent disaster and collapse it brought me to an interesting idea. Since technology is dependent on infrastructure to maintain it, if that infrastructure was suddenly to collapse what would I do? I think many Americans would suddenly find their lives in complete ruins. In fact I believe that future technologies may actually hurt humanity's chances at survival. In addition, the fact is that technology is starting to become TOO invasive; cameras everywhere; too much information about us online; the rise of "security" for protection, etc. I read recently about a city in Mexico that was installing "Iris" eye scanning tech everywhere to reduce crime...the spokesman for the company said that he believed that this would be universal in 10-15 years. I don't know about you people but this idea scares the shit out of me. SO, my idea is simple, I am starting a Neo-Quaker movement, that refuses to accept new technology past 2010 without first bringing it before a committee and discussing its value to mankind. If it is deemed to be more harmful than good we will refuse to use it on the grounds that our bodies are the shell of our souls and we wish that nothing shall come between us and God. I am currently in the planning stages of this and look forward to getting more people on board. I am tired of trading my freedoms for more security, and I'm tired of technology making us forget thousands of years of man's development. I want to get back to nature in a positive way, allowing me to both live as man has always lived, while still being able to appreciate aspects of our technological advancement. More outdoors, more gardening, more living off the land while reducing my need to pick vegetables at the grocery store, or buy food laden down with harmful chemicals. Progress has its place, and it shouldn't be at the cost of my humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment